Saturday, September 8, 2007

Documentary Project

I want my students to be engaged not just with the historical content we study but with the world and their reading of the world. That is where documentary film could come in. I think viewing and making documentary films could be an extremely powerful medium of expression as well as a teaching tool. Currently, I am playing with this idea of having students document parts of their own lives or things that interest them as well as learning about the medium of documentary film by viewing films in that genre. Although, some of this would be able to be done during school hours an after school club would probably lend itself better in terms of time and resources. Also, with an after school club there would be less constraints and it could be a great place to flesh out ideas and make mistakes. So far I am compiling a list of the technologies we could use because I don't think it would all have to be done in a movie format. I am also exploring films to watch together to help guide our thinking and get inspiration.
My list for films to view is small right now and I would love some help. So far this is all I have..
Promises
Hoop Dreams
Born into Brothels
To Be and to Have
Iraq in Fragments
I am trying to use films that feature young people.

No comments: