Saturday, August 11, 2007

My Mac and My Narcissism


O.K. so full blown narcissism is found in only 1% of the population but I have to believe that I-Pods, I-Tunes, and I-Photos are pushing me closer down the continuum to that 1%. I am just beginning to explore these technologies but find that I am getting a little obsessed with what I like and don't like and all of the things that I appropriate to represent myself. Does Apple know that is possibly promoting a DSM-II classified disease "characterized by extreme focus on oneself, and is a maladaptive, rigid, and persistent condition that may cause significant distress and functional impairment"?
It does not seem to be a coincidence that in a society where the most commonly used words in the lexicon are I and me that Mac would identify its products as I-Books, I-Tunes, I-Movies, and I-Phones. Another thing I wander about is if the logo for Mac, an apple with a bite taken out of it, could it be possibly referencing the apple off the tree of knowledge of good and evil? And if so what is Mac trying to say?

No comments: